Waste to Art Challenge.
Call to Cape Town youth to submit visual art made from refuse – R5000 cash prize
Cape Town, 24 October 2019 – The Festive Lights Switch-On is a highlight on the City of Cape Town’s event diary. This year, it will take place on Sunday 1st December 2019 from 16H00 on the Grand Parade with a host of feel-good entertainment for the whole family.
In the run up to the event itself, there are two exciting challenges aimed at reaching out to the youth of Cape Town. Namely, the FLSO 2019 Music Challenge (now in its 4th year), which will launch on Monday 28th October, and a brand new initiative in the form of a recycling-based art competition.
In 2019, the art competition takes on an exciting and responsible approach to highlighting the environmental challenges society is facing, with the Festive Lights Switch-On Waste to Art Challenge.
Showcasing how one person’s waste is another’s gold, the FLSO Waste to Art Challenge 2019, is looking for creative youth 16-years-old and younger – either as an individual or as part of a school or community project – to use waste material (any) to create visual art pieces. Submissions can be a picture, an article of clothing, a furniture item or an installation/ sculpture. Entries need to incorporate the event theme, ‘Cape Town: Window to The World’.
The challenge for this year’s competition is for the youth to create a visual statement, a strong message that addresses the principles of waste management – reduce, reuse and recycle – which is inspired, and that also incorporates their interpretation of the festive season and what the holidays mean to them.
A gallery has been created on http://flsoartchallenge2019.co.za/ , where an image of the finished artwork can be uploaded with a description and shared to all entrants’ social media platforms. The more it is shared, viewed and voted for, the better the chances of winning, as it will be up to the public to decide who walks away with the R5000 cash prize.
The winner will also be invited to exhibit their art piece at the Civic Centre during the school holidays. Four runners up will similarly be asked to display their works, which will need to be transported to the venue. The top five artworks will be visited and adjudicated to ensure parity with the submitted image.
The Festive Lights Art Challenge will run from Thursday 24th October to midnight on Thursday 21st November 2019.
How to enter:
- Entrants must be individuals, community groups or schools comprising students of 16 years and younger
- Create an art piece made out of waste materials
- Art pieces can be pictures, clothing, furniture, sculptures, installations etc
- Take a flattering photo/s of the completed artwork
- Go to http://flsoartchallenge2019.co.za/
- Then, choose where to upload your media from – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or PC
- If using PC option, your name and email address will be required – Social Media will have login prompts
- Upload your image together with a description of the submission and name of entrant, age and school
- Share on all social media platforms with the hashtags #FLSO2019 and #FLSOWastetoArt
- Please see the website for terms and conditions.
Entrants can use mobile phones, PCs or visit any of the City’s libraries and make use of the free Internet access via the SmartCape facilities to upload their images.
Social media Hashtags: